Adam is in the U.S. Navy, stationed in Hawaii. Adam, like many of us, had a car he really and truly loved: a 1969 Mercury Cougar. Unfortunately, Adam had a moment of responsibility/foolishness and sold the car back in 2002 or 2003. Now he wants it back, and needs our help.
Here’s what Adam tells me:
The Internet found your car. I followed the story religiously down in FL and now in Hawaii, where I am currently stationed with the US Navy. Just today, my mind was thinking – “why can’t I ask the help of the Internet to find my old car” that I’ve been searching for?
Long story short, I sold my 1969 Mercury Cougar when/around I went into the US Navy back in 2001. I think I sold it in 2002/2003 as it was in my mothers name and I was gone long away from home and she sold it, whatever – the car was sold. I know where the car is (90% sure it’s still in SE Michigan) but I just don’t know where. Basically, I want to buy it back!
I’ve heard rumor, speculation and have even been told by my friends that they have seen the car, still, in the local area of Southeastern Michigan but they don’t know who has it and they were never able to chase it down.
Are you interested in this? I don’t know how it could be helpful as I’ve tracked down the original VIN, ran it with no luck, talked to the Secretary of State that says the car was never re-registered after the car was sold and the SoS HQ in Lansing, MI won’t give me the new owners name.
So, if anyone is in southeast Michigan, and has seen this car, please let us know — based on the condition it was in as seen in the pictures, I suspect it’s likely someone’s prized possession, so I’m sure some sticky negotiations would entail if we manage to help find it. Still, hunting down a beloved car is always a worthwhile venture, so maybe we’ll have some luck?
Additional information from Adam:
- The VIN of the car is: 9F91H553557. Back in the day when it was insured with Hagerty (I’ve called them and they’re no help), the VIN they used was: 165G2360279T. That makes no sense to me, but whatever. Now I have both.
- I believe it was an Eliminator “Clone”, my Dad said it was a 428CJ, but I did research on the limited Internet back in the day in 1999 or so and something about the amount of bolts around the oil pan or transmission comes to mind… FMX, C6, all that.
- I sold the car in South Eastern Michigan after I entered the military, so that would be after September of 2001. I do not have the name of the guy that bought it.
- The car was indeed a 1969, it originally was white but we bought it repainted a dark red or maroon color. 3 speed automatic, I believe it was a C6. I also think it was a 302 4bbl. The car itself did have Eliminator stripes sown each side and it also had a 428CJ hood stripe with a silver cats head on the front, both of which my Dad and I put on the car.
Here’s the some additional information, including the breakdown in VIN:
- MODEL Y AP BS E UNIT BOD CL TRM DATE DSO Ax Trans
- 1969 Std 9 F 91 H 553557 65A M 2A 05C 52 6
- The interior had two identical tears in the headliner near where your head would be if you were sitting in the driver/passenger seat.
- Had dark grey 15” Torque Thrust style wheels, BFG Radial T/A tires.